Homemade Eczema Cream/Skin Moisturizer

Happy Thursdayyy!

I’m anxious to share the recipe for this cream! DIY-ers, it’s a MUST try! In my little family all of us have eczema and we’ve used everything you can think of including prescription medications and nothing {Yes, nothing!} has worked. THIS is our life saver. {sighhh of relief} End. of. story. {dramatic much? ;-)}

This recipe can be used as a daily skin moisturizer to prevent eczema from flaring up. If by chance it does still appear this helps to nip it in the bud quickly! You ready for the best moisturizer recipe ever??? Well, let’s get to it!

HOMEMADE ECZEMA CREAM/SKIN MOISTURIZER

Items needed:

• 1/4 cup of oats
  • 3/4 cup of coconut oil
  • Few drops of rosemary oil {optional}
  • 1 tbsp of olive oil

Recipe:

1. Finely grind the oats to a powder/flour consistency and set aside. {You can use a blender, food processor or a Magic Bullet type of appliance.}
  2. Over a low heat, melt the coconut oil in a pan until it has a liquid consistency.
  3. Add in a few drops of Rosemary Oil. {If you are adding it.}
  4. Add ground oats in the pan and mix until well blended.
  5. Now, pour the olive oil into the mixture until blended.

{This is what it will look like once all items are added…}

6. Once all ingredients are mixed, remove from heat and pour in to a small storage container. {It filled up 1 1/2 baby food jars.} Let it harden for several hours.

Now that your recipe is complete… Apply to hands and skin as needed and feel the magic at work! ;-) This recipe lasts for a long period of time so enjoy!

• WHY OATS? Oatmeal contains healthy fats. When they come into contact with your skin, these fats help to add moisture to soften and repair your skin.
  • WHY COCONUT OIL? Coconut oil works wonders as a moisturizer for all skin types, especially dry skin and aging skin, leaving you refreshed and looking wide-awake. The fat in the oil helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles without any irritation.
  • WHY OLIVE OIL? It is a great skin moisturizer, in part because it contains linoleic acid, a compound not made by the body, but which prevents water from evaporating.
  • WHY ROSEMARY OIL? Rosemary essential helps in toning your skin and removing dryness.

Source: The Thrifty Couple

Follow along via INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and TWITTER.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. I just tried this recipe, and I’m wondering how you keep the oatmeal from settling in the bottom of the jar? Did I not grind my oats into a fine enough powder? It’s all just sitting on the bottom, quite separate from the rest.

• Thanks for trying out the recipe :)
      I should have mentioned I had the same problem the first time I made this recipe. The second time I ground the oats very fine and also made sure to let it all mix together quite nicely while still in the saucepan. Good luck!

• OK, I’ll give that a shot next time. Is this batch worth using, or should I toss it and start over? Thanks!

• I used my first batch and it worked just as well to be completely honest. Hope it works just as well for you!

• I made this for the dry patches on my 2 year old daughter’s belly. My first batch was gritty, no surprise there. So, I used a coffee grinder for the next batch. It worked awesome! No chunks, just a fine powder. I highly recommend using a coffee grinder for the oats, if available. Thank you so much for this recipe!

• dominique says:

just found this article . Just wondered if the colloidal oatmeal would work ?(it’s like aveeno bath treatment)it comes in packets for the bath..

• ‘Colloidal’ just means the oatmeal is evenly dispersed on a microscopic level throughout… something else. So are those packets for the bath powdered oats, or powdered oats mixed with something else? And if it’s the latter, is the medium as good for your skin as olive oil and coconut oil that YOU chose from a preferred and trusted source?

• I use the Aveeno colloidal bath oatmeal and last time I checked, oatmeal is the only ingredient… it’s just basically very, very fine so what it disperses through is the water in your bath…
          And the Aveeno colloidal oatmeal was my first thought when I was reading this recipe also; I’m betting it would work very well but I don’t know how much one would use…

• Hi Wendy..you dont need to be exact with this recipe it seems as it isn’t exact (doesn’t have a set amount of rosemary essential oil for example) so I would look at breaking it down into a % formula or I would simply add a heaped tablespoon of the aveeno colloidal bath oatmeal to it. It seems this is a formula that is to taste to suit the user..so if you want more oats, simply reheat gently and add more or if there are too many oats added and you feel its too thick, again, re heat gently and add more of one or both of the oils.. I also make all these sorts of things and have for many years..this is a very basic formula and can easily be adjusted to suit climate etc..its good that DIY confessions shared it so generously

2. Thank you for recipe and I going to do it for my sweet granddaughter.

3. Did it help with the itchy skin that comes with excema? I’m excited to give this a try on my baby… he keeps scratching and making his rashes worse. :(

• It didn’t make my little girls eczema itch worse. She has eczema really bad and it nearly took hers away!

• Instead of using the olive oil use caster oil, I have been using it now for over a month and have had no breakouts or itching or blisters at all. I put it in some cherry blossom lotion it already had to make it smell better.

4. I am wondering if there is something that could be used as substitute for the coconut oil (I’m allergic)?

5. I’m going to make “care baskets” for my girlfriends for Christmas and this would be wonderful! Does it matter if you use quick oats or does it need to be the slow cook oats? Probably a dumb questions! ha!

6. Stephanie says:

I just made my first batch a few hours ago but it’s still in liquid form. How long should it take to start to harden?

7. dessertfortwo says:

We’re in eczema misery over here! I’m going to try this very soon! THANK YOU for sharing :)

8. I made a 1/2 batch yesterday. Stirred it half way through it setting up because even with the oatmeal ground to a powder and mixing for over 10mins in the pot, it still settled to the bottom of the container. But today? It’s PERFECT! I actually put some all my elbows, knees…liked the way it felt, so then put all over arms in legs haha it’s was a bit gritty in a way, but it wasn’t like I had chunks on my skin…it just disappeared as I rubbed it in. And u have to THOROUGHLY rub in and give time to absorb :)

Thank u again!

9. Do you think this would help with psorasis? :) I have really bad psorasis, and it’s really embarrassing

• Thanks for sharing! My kids have eczema,and store bought creams can be pricy so its good to know I can make my own with items I have on hand.I never had eczema but I have sensitive skin.recently my hands started itchy bad & redness,thinking i might have eczema on my hands.I’ve used my baby’s eczema cream & it soothes my hands so I’m going to try this ololfor myself so I don’t use all my baby’s cream lol.

• Miss Litz says:

I have psoriasis too. I’ve made my own treatment with a commercial cream as a base for years and, while it helps, I’m eager to try this. As soon as I can get my hands on some coconut oil, I’ll be making this and adding vitamin E oil (400 i.u.) and avocado oil (about a tsp. each) to the recipe. It’ll be really nice to try something petroleum free!

10. Judy Johnson says:

To make it more presentable, mix with mixer after it firms. Makes it fluffier.

11. We do no have eczema at our house, just very dry, sensitive skin. I’m thinking shea butter would also be a fantastic subsitute for the coconut oil of need be and a little vitamin E oil too!

12. i used to suffer badly years ago on my hands and back i would scratch so bad i would bleed and like all of you nothing would help, my doctor told me eczema was a disease. i did some research and found out that i was sensitive to wheat and dairy. I cut out as much wheat as possible and two weeks later my eczema cleared right up! that was 10 years ago. i still get the occasional flare up if i have had too uch wheat or dairy products some of which i love! Anyhow i used to use the aveeno bath treatment worked amazing! Hope this info helps some out there!

• Tina, you had an excellent Dr. Too bad there aren’t more around. Eczema is a symptom of issues with the immune system (so is psoriasis). While it is tempting to just treat the symptom and feel better, as Tina indicated, don’t stop there. There will continue to be issues with your immune system, just because you can’t see them doesn’t mean they are not important. When you just silence the messenger the real problem will become a bigger issue over time. Search for the cause in your body, chances are it will take quite a bit of tenacity and work to find a Dr. who will be an asset in this search.

• oops, I thought your Dr. put you on the right path, then I reread your comment. Kudos to you for persisting and finding out the truth of the matter.

13. I made this last night and started it this morning on my baby with horrid eczema all over his body. So far so good! I love that it is so easy to make with handy ingredients around the house. It already seems to be working! It definitely has more staying power than vaseline. :) Thanks for sharing!

• Hearing talk of baby eczema makes me so nervous. My little one had horrible eczema, we went to many doctors and were given lots of different types of creams. None of which worked. After doing a lot of research I finally convinced a doctor to do a blood allergy test on our little boy. He had been suffering terribly from the time he was 2 until 7 months old. To make a long story short he was diagnosed with allergies to peanuts, mixed nuts, dairy, soy, eggs, fish , she’ll fish cats a dust. I firmly believe eczema is sign of a bigger problem. Do not listen to doctors who tell you that it is only baby eczema.

• Grubby wife says:

Wow! I’m glad to know that your two-month-old was eating fish and eggs and nuts! It’s a good thing you stopped that. It’s dangerous for babies to eat such foods! No wonder he had eczema!! All that terrible food was certainly the cause of eczema. Food is toxic!!!

• Celiac Mom says:

Just because her child was diagnosed with the allergy doesn’t mean the child was consuming it. She noted that the skin issue went on for 5 months while discussing it with her son’s doctor.

Also, several of those allergies tend to go hand in hand. You never quite know what’s in your food if you don’t look into it. I have to be very strict about my daughter’s food because of her disease, which the only way to deal with it is dietary restrictions.

Looking forward to trying this out on my eczema.

• Amen, Celiac Mom!!! So true. And many allergens can be passed through breast milk. Our babies may not be eating allergens directly, but if mothers don’t know their children are eating them, or if there is an older sibling who is handling toys while eating or directly after eating an allergen and then the baby puts it in her mouth, there can be a reaction. As someone with food allergies, cross contamination is always a concern for me. People who prepare food for me need to be super careful about utensils and extra thorough hand washing. Just because you washed your hands before starting food prep, if you touch peanuts and then touch something destined for my plate, your hands are no longer clean in my book. My son is not allowed to consume peanut products and my husband voluntarily stopped because I have had a problem with my husband eating peanuts and then causing me to have a reaction hours later.

• i dont think Karen was feeding her little one that. maybe was breast feeding. could have been ingredients in something she was consuming or in a product for the baby. Lord knows we don’t know what they are putting in our stuff. and with GMO’s and no truth in labeling, God help us.

14. Thank you, this is a great and easy recipe. But I am surprised that you are not using all organic products. I don’t allways buy organic but when making creams and potions that go on the skin I do, since the skin is our most sensitive organ

15. Love the way this makes my hands feel. Unfortunately my dogs won’t quit licking my hands! LOL!

16. Thank you so much for this recipe, i have terrible eczema (and im almost 24) – does it rub in easily and does it leave a residue? Thanks again

17. My family and I do not suffer from eczema, but I do get very dry hands and elbows. I had all the ingredients on hand so was very excited to make. I will be sharing this with a friend whose daughter has suffered since a baby with eczema. I did add a tsp of vitamin E and a tsp of comfrey oil my hubby just made. I need to learn more on comfrey, but it helps with the healing process of skin and bones. My cream is just now firming up and I am stirring frequently to mix all the oatmeal flour. I will do my best to write your blog down so that I can report back after a while of using this cream…perhaps have a story to tell from my friend’s daughter. :) Thank you for sharing this info. God Bless

• Thanks! I would love to be updated! I appreciate you sharing the recipe :)

• Elisabeth says:

I had a thought on the grittiness today. While rubbing some of this recipe into my hands and feeling the grit, I turned on the faucet and quickly ran my hands under cool running water hoping that maybe the grit would wash off…It did!!! I then patted my hands with a towel and woohoo my hands were free of the grit. Using cool or luke warm water will not take off any of the moisturizing oils, only the grit. I know that this prob won’t work for most ppl as of course dry skin is just not on the hands. Maybe this can be done after a shower (pat dry), rub all over dry areas and then a quick rinse off with perhaps warm water and then a good pat dry. Hope this is a help to others that did not like the issue of the grit. :)

18. I don’t have any Rosemary Oil so I am going to try steeping some dried rosemary in the Olive Oil then strain it out and add to the Coconut Oil.

• Oh and what do you think of adding all the warm ingredients to the blender and pulsing every feew minutes while it cools to keep it all combined evenly?

• I think both things are a wonderful idea! That was the only problem people seem to keep having with making this recipe is keeping it combined evenly. Please let me know how it works out! Thanks :)

• Ive heard on other blogs that using a blender, if too fast, can keep the coconut oil too warm. They suggested a mixer. Just an idea!

19. Can you use oat flour or is that too fine?

20. Joanna Sickles says:

I made 6 jars of this for Christmas presents this year. I love coconut oil and have used it for years as a body lotion. The only thing that I didn’t love about this was the hard little pieces of oatmeal. I got the pieces as small as I could. I’m wondering if I could soak the oatmeal after pulverizing it and then add it to the oil. Have you had this issue as well?

• Thanks for using the recipe! I LOVE this moisturizer. My family uses it typically every day.
      I did find in my first batch that it seemed to be slightly gritty. You could soak the oatmeal and see how that worked, but I would suggest once you finish the recipe and let it COMPLETELY cool use a mixer to help make it smoother. Hope this helps!!

• If you soak the oatmeal, you’re adding liquid to an oil-based product and introducing the possibility of spoilage. I would not recommend soaking the oatmeal. Trust me, mouldy skin ointment is not pretty and not good for your skin. (I used to make all my own creams and lotions)

21. I also made this for a present recently and must not have ground up my oats fine enough because I got chunks. I think I am going to try oat flour next time, but reduce the amount (1/4C oats will grind down to less). I also used lavender oil because I ran out of rosemary and lavender is also soothing. Heavenly! Will keep this recipe around! :)

22. Elisabeth says:

I like the idea of soaking the oatmeal flour to soften or find a super fine sifter and sift out the grit in the oatmeal flour, before adding to the oils. I will try this next time. My lotion has a small grit in it, but falls off as you rub it into the skin.
    As far as incorporating the oatmeal flour in the lotion, I did not have a problem. As the lotion sat in the jar cooling, I would stir every so often. Once it got to the stage of seeing more and more of the oil whiten, I would stir more…at this stage the oatmeal would stay where it was stirred nicely. I ended up with no sediment on the bottom of the jar and only a spoon to clean. I will remember the blender trick though! (I am just too lazy to clean that many tools though) lol :)
    I love the moisturizing factor of adding the oatmeal. I have used the coconut oil as a lotion on it’s own and it is nice, but this lotion keeps the skin softer for longer! This I really really like. :)

23. Maria Solis says:

Would you add tea tree oil just a few drops?

24. Thank you this is exactly what my itchy 4 yr old needs. In the past I have found the best way to grind oatmeal to a powder is by using an electric coffee grinder.

25. My grandaughter has exzema on her little girl parts that is just horrible. Every time time she needs to potty she screams. Do you think this reciepe would be safe on this part of the body?

• As far as I know it would be safe to use it on this body part since it is all natural ingredients. If you do have ANY hesitations/concerns though, I would consult your doctor and ask his opinion. Hope this helps!

• Another follower mentioned to me there are multiple different things that look similar to eczema but are actually a different skin issue that can end up on the genitalia. She suggested for me to give her e-mail to you so if you have further questions. marianne.delano@gmail.com

• I would seriously get this checked out! If its anything else (like a fungal infection like jock itch) you would literally be feeding it by putting any creams on it!

• My baby daughter had this and found it was foods she was allergic to, some in baby foods. Tomatoes and chocolate were the culprits for her. You might want to check for food allergies.

26. I made this yesterday, and it set up nicely except with the same issue everyone is having with the oatmeal. For those of you who mixed/blended it … did you mix it after it was all the way set? Mine set up very firm, and I can’t imagine putting a mixer into it. Thank you! I’m excited to use this for my son’s ultra dry skin.

27. Is this okay to use on your face? Or too oily?

28. I want to make this to use with rosacea instead of Eczema . Lavender oil is good for rosacea think this would work if I switched the oils?

29. I followed your recipe and added a few drops of tea tree oil. Two of my grandkids have acute eczema and often scratch themselves bloody in their sleep. The tea tree oil seems to help with the healing of the scratch marks. This ointment has proved to be very comforting to their skin. Their mom reports she has not had them itching as badly and their legs look almost normal!

30. My son was born in Vietnam, and he has the driest skin (not eczema, just very dry skin). We live in the midwest, and the winters here are brutal for him. I could often hear him scratching his dry skin in his sleep. I have spent a small fortune trying different lotions and creams for him, but nothing worked. Well, this stuff works. Within only 10 days of daily application, his skin is soft and the areas he scratched open are healing beautifully. Thank you so, so much for this.

31. Lori Potter says:

I just made this for the first time. I’m really hoping it work for my husband. I was reading the other comments posted and they basically answered my question and that was how do you keep the oatmeal from separating lol. The second batch was much better. Thanks for telling us your secret recipe it’s very appreciated.

32. A friend and I who console each other over eczema problems just found out ours were both food related (ours happened to be dairy). Cut dairy out of the diet and eczema cleared up within a week. Both of us had tried all sorts of OTC, DIY and prescription remedies to no avail. Highly recommend those suffering from eczema to try an elimination diet of some kind to see if it’s triggered by food. Neither of us had any known food allergies/intolerances or any other symptoms, but eliminating dairy did the trick.

33. Dairy is the number 1 culprit of eczema! If you can cut out dairy you will likely find that the eczema goes away nearly completely. My little one had eczema so bad (she is 3.5 now) and after being dairy free for just a matter of days it started to clear up. A year later (still dairy free) and she just had her first flair up of it and we realized that it was because she was drinking a significantly higher amount of soy milk than normal. Normally she has maybe 1 cup a week (we drink all almond milk), but she was having it daily. We cut that out and it is getting better. Just thought I would share that info.

On that note, I am still super excited to make this cream. Little one plays outside at school in the cold air and they wash their hands so much that her poor little hands get so dry! My face does too. I am hoping this helps a bunch!

34. Jenniffer says:

My daughter just started getting eczema this year and it’s only around her eyes. She gets really bad winter allergies and her doctor says her eczema comes from that. We’ve been using Bert’s Baby Bee before she goes outside but I’m not seeing any changes. Do you think this would be safe to use around her eyes?

35. Was just wondering if this would help my psoriasis any?
    I guess there would be no harm in trying…if anything I will have soft skin where there is no psoriasis…LOL
    Thx for posting this recipe, gonna give it a shot =)

36. Is this like a lotion? most things I have found have an oily consistancy and do not make it where I can use in the morning and go about my business

37. An inside to the outside cure for eczema is to try taking evening primrose oil and/or a good quality fish oil. It can also be caused by allergies so looking into that is also helpful. For psoriasis, looking into an allergy is also helpful. Taking liver supportive herbs is also helpful for psoriasis.

38. Melissa Fowler says:

Thanks for all the advice!! I just started using coconut oil on my skin instead of lotion so I am going to try your recipe as soon as I pickup the oatmeal!

39. Why not cook the oatmeal and throw everything in the blender?

• The moisture from cooked oatmeal will cause bacteria/fungal growth. The moisturizer as it is doesn’t have any preservatives, adding cooked oatmeal will make the whole shebang go bad really fast.

• Coconut oilis antibacterial and antifugal. I am looking forward to making this. After years of eczema I have found neem oil. It works soooo well. And has cured chronic eczema. It smells and is strong, so I think I am going to use the lotion as a carier for the neem. And then I will add the rosemary to cover the neem oil up.

40. THANK YOU FOR THIS RECIPE. I’ve had eczema for a while– been dealing with my own remedies (green & growing is my blog) but I’ve noticed each time I have a really bad flare up, my old remedies don’t work as well. Even worse since I gave in & used steroids. My latest flare up on my hands was by far the worse– causing inflammation in joints as well, which will happen with any autoimmune issue. I’m an herbalist, so I never want to start with big pharma first– my first choice would be DIY herbal solutions. I was mining the net for new ideas & came across this.

Two notes to the instructions. When making any salve or balm, melting the oils over direct heat increases the chance of scorching the oil. Use a double boiler. I use a pyrex measuring cup set into a pan with at least 2-3 inches of rapidly simmering water. Put the heat on medium & it does the job without burning the oils & waxes.

Whenever dealing with a lotion, salve, soap, infusion, etc NEVER NEVER NEVER add an essential oil while the mixture is over heat. The heat destroys the properties of the essential oil. When making salves, balms, & the like, I remove the mixture from heat. Keep stirring for at least 2-3 minutes and THEN add the oils. I used 12 drops of rosemary & 5 drops of rose geranium. Geranium helps deal with itch.

I’d also recommend using a bit of beeswax. The mix was too runny for me so I added 1/4 ounce of beeswax to the above recipe. It firmed up nicely.

I still have the issue with the oatmeal sinking– but it was only the coarser bits. And I solved that by dividing up the mixture into 2 jars. The second jar had the majority of the bits at the bottom & I’m using that as an exfoliant.

Either way– this is the first time a recipe deals with all the symptoms– itch, swelling, “lizard skin” redness, and so on. Within minutes of the first application the visible redness decreased. By the next morning, it was the first time my skin didn’t have that 1000 year old mummy look that I had gotten used to.

Either way– thank you so very much for this!!
    ~Jessie

41. I have recently developed eczema from what had previously been dry skin. Normally I can control this with various prescribed creams but this year a combination of flu and bad weather have left me miserable! I can’t wait to try this. I had great success with oat based creams in the past so I have high hopes for this one.

Additionally my mother is a Nurse practitioner who has several patients with similar issues so she is keen to see how I get on, if all goes well she will be passing on the recipe to them as well.

Thank you so much for posting this online for everyone to try!

42. i see a lot of conversation about cutting out dairy and wheat to help eczema, and i think diet is definitely involved in treatment. but, i have found for my two year old that yogurt has been a key in treating it. she just eats the plain. organic nancy’s whole milk yogurt and i notice on weeks when she has eaten less of it, (or when she’s sick) her eczema flairs up. since eczema is yeast related, i’m guessing the yogurt has to do with helping her gut health and you could use a probiotic or kombucha or something too. thought i’d toss that in as something to try out.
    thanks for the recipe! it’s cooling right now and i think i’ll blend it up when it hardens a bit to make it all smooth and yummy feeling :)

43. Hi I tried this but it did not harden? can u tell me why not? can i still use it

• Cconut oil will liquify at about 75/76 degrees, so if you live in a warm climate or it gets above those temps in the summer add a little bit of beeswax and melt it in w/the oils. This will help keep it solid on those days. I use an immersion blender to mix my concoctions to give it that “whipped feel” after it cools slightly and before I put it in my final container.

44. hi I made this cream but it has’nt hardened can u tell me why. can i still use it.?

45. amita bryant says:

thank you for this recipe, i already makes it three times, i like the smell so much :) it smells yummy especially when you mix it with rosemary oil, but i dont know why my skin is itching after i used them(especially on my lower arm area). is it because of the rosemary essencial oil?

• I’m glad you like the recipe!!
      It could more then likely be the rosemary oil. Another reader mentioned that rosemary oil can sometimes be too strong for very sensitive skin. I would try making it without the rosemary oil and see how you do!

46. I bet using sweet orange oil would make this very kid friendly! My kids love the way it smells!

47. Made this last nignt……..just as it set up I stirred it and the oatmeal is evenly distributed throughout. This mixture soothed and calmed my eczema. Smells great too!!
    Thanks for sharing

48. I cant wait to try this…my old standby for my daughters eczema has been 4 oz sesame oil (expeller or cold pressed) mixed with 80 drops of patchouli and lavender essential oils. Rubbed over her still wet skin after a bath. This has been very beneficial, and handles everything expect the creases in her elbows. I am always looking to improve and find something that will work here. As a side note…my daughter had issues with staph infections due to the easy entry with the broken down skin. I put 2 drops of oregano essential oil into 4 ounces of her eczema oil blend and she has never had another one (she did smell like an italian restaurant but so worth it since MRSA was going around my area at this time and a young girl lost all 4 limbs to it!!! Oregano is a very potent essential oil so use with caution :)

49. I am looking forward to making this. After years of eczema I have found neem oil. It works soooo well. And has cured chronic eczema. It smells and is strong, so I think I am going to use the lotion as a carier for the neem. And then I will add the rosemary to cover the neem oil up.

50. Uggggghhhhh I made this twice in one night and both times I burned the oats trying to blend them. Now my entire house smells like burnt popcorn. Even worse I have two batches that smell like burnt popcorn :( Not the scent I was going for. ON THE PLUS SIDE!!!! I found that when transferring it into a different container, if i place a cheap knee-high on the top of the container, it eliminates the gritty oats that won’t completely blend. So maybe in six months when I finally run out I can do it properly

51. I just made my first batch. My 2 year old daughter has very bad eczema. I substituted Lavender oil for Rosemary. She scratches a lot in her sleep and i thought the lavender would help calm her down at bedtime.

52. Has anyone tried using baby oatmeal? It is a finer consistency. Maybe it would eliminate the grit.

53. My husband has had severe eczema his whole life and this concoction has been the only thing that has worked for him. Thanks so much for sharing.

54. Thanks for the recipe!! Just another method for getting rid of the oatmeal grit – straining the mixture through a paper towel while it is warm.

55. amanda jean says:

I made this lotion the other day, without the rosemary, and I have to say I really like it; the smell, the feel, and it has relieved a lot of the itching. The one thing I will say is NOT to use the lotion on a baby with eczema if it is gritty from the oatmeal. I wasn’t thinking and after one day of using it my girl’s tummy was bright red and she was frantically scratching – the oatmeal grit was scratching her skin while I rubbed it in, and rubbing against her under her clothes because I couldn’t get it all off, all the while irritating the itch-scratch-rash cycle that makes eczema such a chronic problem. I used cheesecloth to strain the oil while it was hot and it made all the difference. It hasn’t completely cleared up her eczema but it is definitely a better option than using expensive lotions with God-knows-what in them.

I saved the gritty bits that came from straining and used it for exfoliating my own skin. Love that as well!

56. I made this recipe yesterday and it’s still liquid, not sure why I did everything the recipe said. Any idea’s of what to do or what I might of did wrong?

57. So excited to be trying this tonight! I may either use lavender or orange oil though instead. Is it a must to sterilize the jars that will ne used for storage? I am doing that tonight but was wondering if it’s necessary.

58. Im actually doing the lavender, just read Orange oil can be irritating on skin and cause light sensitivity to skin, so I’ll skip it for now! :)

59. Not sure if this has been asked but can you use baby oatmeal since its so fine already and will ground up easier? Thank you :)

60. I just made my first batch and realized I accidentally used vegetable oil instead of olive oil- I chalk it up to sleep deprivation! I also strained the oats out as I didn’t want to irritate my baby’s skin. I’m hoping my oil mix-up won’t affect it as this coconut oil was expensive and I’m almost out!

61. i just have to say thank you sooo much for this recipe. I made mine into a lotion bar instead of a cream and applied it twice a day!!! LOVED IT, it helped immediately and my skin looks amazing all over.. i also used it on my acne prown skin and it didnt cause breakouts so thats great to hear.. Thanks again..

62. I made this last week and love it! I have battled eczema all my life; where this didn’t make it disappear it is certainly more manageable. Thank you so much for posting this. Btw.. the smell of it reminds me of dunkin donuts! PLUS!

63. My son is 9 months old and has eczema. Would this be safe for him?

64. I have found my perfect technique for getting the mixture to settle together and to set faster than 24hrs. I made heated the oils together with the essential oil drops while I pulsed the oats in the blender. I poured the warm oil into the blender and pulsed a few more times. Then I poured it into a jelly jar, which is the perfect size for the amount. Put the lids on the jar and sat it beside me while I was doing, whatever, and every so often I just shook up the jar mixture and within about 2 hrs, it began hardening and with all the ingredients mixed together, rather than the oats settling to the bottom. Just thought that might help some others with how to make it and get it to set well.

65. hi, I wondered if these ingredients were safe for babies, and came across this article about olive oil not being the best option for babies, especially with something like eczema where olive oil can make the skin more permeable and therefore lose moisture: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/x1044400/can-i-use-olive-oil-to-massage-my-baby

thoughts? thanks!

66. I didn’t read all of the comments to see if anyone else did this to solve the clumpy oat problem, but once I poured the mixture into my jar I placed the whole jar into a pan with cold water and ice. Then I continued to stir it on and off for about 10 minutes until it reached a thickness that held the oat chunks in place evenly throughout the lotion.

67. I’m 21 and have been struggling with eczema my whole life, I’m extremely sensitive to most commercial products. I recently started buying natural butters/carrier oils, and have been experimenting with making my own products. I’ve succesfully made lotions, chapsticks, etc. but I’d been looking for a way to incorporate oatmeal so I was so excited to find this! I never even thought of grinding it! I ended up nixing the essential oil and adding vitamin e to preserve, and substituted the coconut oil for kokum butter and the olive oil for evening primrose, adding one extra tsp and it is so lovely, seriously like a high end cream! these products are a little pricier but worth it as you’ll have a lot left over, I have never had anything help with my eczema so much! thank you again for this awesome idea!

68. Is there a replacement to the oatmeal that would work? My daughter is allergic to it. Her food allergies are the cause of her skin issues.

69. Toni Barnett says:

Mine separated ….oats to the bottom, oil on top. Should I have done anything different ?

70. Melissa Johnson says:

The best price for Coconut oil is at Trader Joes, its only 6.99 for 16 fluid ounces of organic, virgin coconut oil. I use it every night on my face, so much cheaper than night creams and though it goes on greasy it seems to soak in within 10 mins or so and leaves your skin sooooo soft.

71. Vicky Bailey says:

I make old fashioned hot process, kettle-soap, and I use this same mixture of ingredients to make a soap for sensitive skin. Both of my children are allergic to chocolate, so I never add cocoa butter to the mix. I also never add Shea butter to my soaps because so many people are allergic to tree nuts (I love both cocoa butter and Shea butter for personal use,but because of allergies among my friends and family, I restrict their use). My advice, if you are giving this to anyone, make sure you list ingredients used (just to be on the safe side). Also, if you are a “soaper” (even of cold process) you may want to look for recipes that allow you to extend your use of this skin friendly mix to your bath. I’d share my recipe, but hot process is temperamental and not easy to master, where as cold process has more consistent results. Thank you for sharing, I can’t wait to try this.

72. I’ve just made my first batch and is in the fridge to harden. I also couldn’t grind it enough to a powder consistency. I strained it using Chux, squeezed out as much as I could then placed the oatmeal bits in another container and refrigerated it to be used as an exfoliant (another post mentioned this too). I’ve just used it on my face and it worked well. It’s a bit oily but you can just wipe it off gently. Thanks for this! I’m hoping this helps my son’s skin.

73. So I made another batch of this. I doubled the recipe, we went through it so quickly. I used lavender oil instead if rosemary. It smells so much better. I strained the oats and it’s not gritty at all. I like this batch so much more.

74. Just shared your recipe on my facebook page and it’s on my DIY list. Thanks for sharing.

• Thank you!

• Oriental mind says:

I read the entire blog before I started to make my own. To re-cap questions about mold, and sediments. I offer my solutions here: I believe the reason for mold development is probably due to the less amount of coconut oil being used. I used as the recipe says: 3/4 cup of solid coconut oil (using a big tea spoon to dig it out)(the reason it is solid is that I have placed it in the fridge), and 1/4 cup of oat meal before you grind it very fine in a coffee grinder. Use home made double boiler to prevent burning the oatmeal and overheating the oil.To make a double boiler: boil water in the wide pan, and place a small pan in the wide pan. Make sure the water level is less than half the height of the small pan. Heat the coconut oil till it melts. Add the finely grind oat meal to it. Set the timer for 5 minutes. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon. Shut off the heat when the timer goes off. Boil some water in order to sanitize a small glass jar.Warm up the glass jar with warm tap water before you pour the boiling water to the jar to prevent cracking. Prepare a cheese cloth (a thin/worn out cotton cloth is fine) and rinse it well with warm water. Place it in a small bowl. Pour some boiling water to the cloth to sanitize it as well. Place the center of the cheese cloth on the top of the neck of the glass jar. Push down the middle part of the cheese cloth into the glass so that you can pour the cooked mixer from the pan. Place the glass jar in a wide bowl to catch spill. Make sure the cream is not too hot for the hand, for you are going to seal squeeze the cloth to force the liquid part of the cream to fall into the jar (or a bowl). Here is another idea: when you can no longer squeeze any liquid out of the cloth, you should really eat the solid part oat meal with oil. It tastes like a delicious cookie with ground nuts. I did not use olive oil. If you must, please use extra light olive oil. I applied 3 drops of 100% tea tree oil though. My son likes the smell. I applied some cream on me before I put it in the freeze because I had been itchy for days now with eczema as a result of hair dye for many years. That was 3 hours ago, and I do not have any itch on my scale or neck since then. Half hour is enough to place the cream in the freeze. My cream looks like a butter cream. It is solid. Thank you all! This blog is worth reading. I am going to send the recipe to my father who has probably the worst eczema case. The skin on his whole body has become black and starchy with years of scratch. I called him right away to tell him the good news. Will post if it does not work.

75. Made my first batch and hubby has already seen smoother and less itchy skin, but he didn’t like getting the cream on his fingers. I re-melted a small bit (about 3/4 tsp) of the mix and poured it into an empty lip balm tube (and put it in the freezer for a few minutes to keep it from leaking out of the bottom until it hardened) and it’s working great for him! Thank you for the recipe!!!

76. This left my little guys eczema worse! It became very irritated and bright red. He dug at his neck more and we had to use his prescription anti itch creme to sooth it. I on the other hand love this for my dry cracked hands!

• Frances says:

I found it made mine worse too – I’m pretty sure it’s the coconut oil that I’m reacting to (although I eat coconut regularly with no such effects) so maybe thats what’s bothering him? I’m trying Shea butter as a base so I’ll let you know how I get on

77. I just made this and it turned out great. I’m glad I read all the comments about the oats settling. I cooked it for about 5 minutes then strained out the excess oats. The liquid that was left definitely had absorbed oats int it.

78. Alexcia says:

I was super excited to try this. When you are adding the finished product into containers, do the oats at the bottom of pan get put in the container or is it just the liquid. Or did i do it wrong completly and not lets the oats dissolve????

79. Petra Farmer says:

I just made this for a friend of mine who has eczema. I am a science teacher so I’m pretty good at decanting. I poured all of the liquid into a container to give to her and poured what was left with the sediment into a container for me. I’m going to use the gritty one for face wash! I’ve been using coconut oil to wash my face and I have seen an amazing improvement in the size of my pores, let’s see what this does. Thanks for the recipe.

80. I am cooling my first batch now and I wished I would have read the comments first I have oats at the bottom of my jar too and I could not find essential rosemary oil do I used extra Virgin olive oil infused with rosemary oil maybe after it cools ill try whipping it with a mixer like some one suggested in comments .. My son suffers from eczema and hasn’t had a break out in year or two but now it’s all over his hands and he is scratching something terrible .
    I have read that it can be brought on by poor diets of fast food and a lot of sugar and high fructose corn syrup. My son is 18 and Drinking a lot of sodas and eating tons of junk.. I am trying to get him to go back to drinking more water and taking probiotics as probiotics can get rid of a type of bad yeast and a bad “worm” that cause outbreaks

• Hey Julie, just wanted to let you know that essential oils are MUCH more potent than infused rosemary olive oil (although I think olive oil infused with rosemary is delicious!) If you still want to get some rosemary essential oil, I get it through Young Living. You need to know a member in order to place an order, so you can use my member number for the referral: 1080873. Either way, hope your son is doing better!

81. Frances says:

Sadly my skin didn’t seem to take to the recipe, but I’m fairly sure that its just the coconut oil that it doesn’t like so trying again using raw Shea butter as a base. Also planning on adding in some Argon oil as have been told by an aromatherapist friend of mine that makes his own lotions that its brilliant for moisturising really dry skin (he recommends just a little per batch, so I’m going to try a teaspoon or so). Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using oatmilik instead of pure oats? Not sure if this will make the cream turn bad or not though… If all else fails I do like the idea of removing the sediment and using it as a body scrub though!

82. Autumn Cerenil-Lee says:

I’m so excited. My daughter has ripped her skin from itching in her sleep, and she’s autistic so it makes it even more complicated… I feel horrible for her often. We usually rub her legs, arms, and back with A&D ointment after baths, however it only keeps things from getting worse. I don’t use prescription for her because of the steriods in them.. I will be happy to let u know how my little lady likes this, she’s 9. Was also wondering if u knew of anything for baths. Thank u so much for sharing your resipe with us.. I will be intouch.

Autumn

83. Could you use Colloidal Oatmeal instead?

84. If I missed the answer in the post, Im sorry……..but does this mixture need to be kept in the frig??

85. Stephanie Ranker says:

I just made a batch…I don’t like gritty ointments so i cooked it then ran it through a strainer I figured once the oatmeal was cooked I would get the same results…I will let everyone know if straining makes a difference.

86. Pat Thompson says:

Would this recipe be good for Roseacha?

87. Made this for my boyfriend last week for his eczema. He likes it but I’M actually the one using it! I tried it out to replace my regular coconut oil face wash (since I used it all to make the cream for him!). My face is GLOWING now. Thanks for the share!

88. Stephanie Ranker says:

I did actually strain my batch so that it would not have any grit from the powdered oatmeal….it did make a very creamy mixture, but due to there being olive oil in coconut oil the ointment melts at a very low temperature. However, the ointment is very soothing even in liquid form for my psorosis.

89. Since Walmart is known for using GMO’s, I would use an organic oil like Sunflower…it is also alkaline so it’s good for the body. I prefer using Tropical Traditions organic coconut oil…it’s made the old way so it retains it’s purity. I was wondering why you didn’t melt the coconut oil and just use it and not add another oil?

90. Hi, I just found your receipt on facebook a few days ago, and I just made a small amount of the cream, using coconut oil. I now have to let it harden. I hope it works as I have something like contact dermatitis. I have had this for some years now and nothing has helped. Maybe this will. Will be back to give update later.

91. I have a stupid question .. Is the measurement on the oats before or after is ground up?

92. This sounds like it would make an amazing night cream. Thanks for sharing

93. can you use sunflower oil instead of olive oil

94. Hi all, I have been using the homemade cream for the past few days. I did say I would come back with an update. Unfortunately, so far, I don’t see any change in my dermatitis. There is no itching, but I had been using the coconut oil and a few other things to stop the itching some time ago. I think I will have to go to a dermatologist as soon as I can.

95. Hi, so I made my first time ever natural cosmetic. I couldn’t ground the oats so finely (I wonder can I jus buy oat flour??) so 80% of the oats are sitting down. the cream came up very hard after settling and settled within an hour!! I used raw coconut oil and little bit of vit E. however it the damn best moisturiser I ever used, and my skin is extremely sensitive and dry at the same time. so far no stuck pores (which most creams would give me) thanks for sharing this with people.

96. What if my daughter reacts to oats and they actually cause her eczema? Would the other ingredients still help? Any store bought eczema cream has one of her triggers in it so I am pretty much forced to make my own.

• Hello, oats sometimes contain gluten, and if your daughter has a gluten sensitivity, it mayt be inflaming her skin. In my family’s experience, all three of my kids have food sensitivities which are the root cause of their eczema. May I suggest finding someone who does bio-meridian feedback to diagnose? It’s been a life changer for us!

97. Coconut Oil is a natural anti Inflammatory, a natural anti Fungal and anti Bacterial . We use it as a natural product in the dog grooming industry to settle down dogs ears that come in to us inflamed with irritation. A small bit gently placed into the ear, then allow the body heat to melt it into the canal. Very safe and effective. Of course if the dog has allergies or a corn based dry food it will only temp. help . Love your recipe , thankyou!

98. forgot to add that I recently started to add Neem oil to my special shampoo mix for irritated skin. The results are very promising for the poor dogs silently suffering.

99. I pinned this & decided to give it a try since wouldn’t cost me much to make. I have very problematic skin & am allergic to so many facial products. My skin on my forehead was so dry that it was flakey everyday! I’m happy to say that after 2 days of using this recipe my skin started to heal & was looking moisturized again. I have been using it for a couple of months now & my skin has never looked & felt better. Thank you so much.

100. So I read the entire post and after reading all the trials and errors, I went into the kitchen , pulled out my ingredients for this wonderful eczema cream and had a go at it. Within 30 minutes, I think I perfected it and here’s what I did

I used exact measurements of DIY’s recipe BUT, I replaced olive oil with grapeseed oil
    Added 1/4 ounce of bees wax
    1 drop rosemary
    1 drop lavender
    1 drop tea tree oil
    3 drops of Vit. E oil
    The Process : grind oats in a coffee grinder to a fine powder
    I don’t have a double boiler so I used a stainless steel bowl inserted into a pan of water, I put in bees wax first as it takes a bit longer to melt than Coconut Oil.
    Once the oils were melted, I removed from heat and added my essentials oils, then sieved (I used a kitchen sieve (the kind you use to sprinkle powered sugar on desserts) and sprinkled oat powder into the oils while whisking. I noticed the formula turning milky and getting a little heavier and decided to sieve again (saving the grits for exfoliating later).
    Then, I took a larger bowl filled it half way with ice water, inserted stainless steel bowl into this and began whisking again, SUCCESS! It set up wonderfully, creamy, luscious, and NO grit, no separation, just a wonderful rich cream that I immediately put in a jelly jar and refrigerated for extra set up.

Thank you so very much for the info, this is one recipe that’s a must have for skin conditions ( I bet it will work for acne too!)

• Just wanted to note that Grapeseed oil can be very drying. Hemp seed oil would probably be an awesome choice for this recipe.

101. Heating essential oils degrades them- add it once it’s off the heat :)

102. After two years on gluten and dairy free diet I tried bread and dairy. My eyes swelled and i got eczema on my face. First time in my life. My holistic Dr said it is a Vitamin A deficiency. I take 25,000 mg in am and it helped but food allergies and sensitivies are huge as I found out. A soothing thing I found to calm eczma down and is relaxing is water with a small amount of apple cider vinegar(use a compress about 10 minutes) even in the eye area. Also aloe vera pure juice can be used like a toner. Nice on the skin – I use it every day.

103. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I have not seen such a fast improvement in my grandson’s eczema until I tried this. I used Lemon oil in mine, as I did not have rosemary oil, and lemon oil was indicated elsewhere for eczema. My adult daughter tried it on her sensitive skin, and she asked me to make more of it!! I am now trying a double batch, and I think I will let it stay liquid all day, and then this evening I will try to strain the biggest oatmeal chunks out. In this way, I hope that the oatmeal will impart it’s properties into the oil, without having it be quite so grainy on the bottom. I’ll let you know how that goes!

104. I made this just today my mixture is golden brown should I be worried?

105. Help! I made this for myself & a friend with eczema. I sterilized jars, stick blender & spoons used in the process but it is growing little spots of mold! Im so sad as l love this as a nightly moisturizer. It started molding about a week after l made it. Any suggestions?? I would like to make more.

106. Teresa Svedman says:

It seems to me that oat may feed the yeast which is typically the reason for the eczema imbalance anyway. Hmmm

107. jennamariewolfe says:

Whip it! Seriously, keep the glass bowl you’re using cold and don’t melt the coconut oil. it’ll take 5-8 minutes on high and it’ll be like a creamy lotion. :) Super inexpenisve and easy! I buy a 54oz container of pure, unrefined, organic coconut oil for $17 (in Canada, this is the best deal I’ve found). That’s about $2.65/cup… you cannot find a chemical free, nourishing moisturizer this cheap anywhere. Adding the oatmeal is a great option too. The essential oils are a nice touch also, just make sure you don’t use an oil that is irritating (citrus or peppermint for example) if you have sensitive skin.

108. I made this yesterday, with the help of my 7 yr old son who suffers from extremely dry skin and eczema. Not only did we have fun making it but he said it was the best thing we’ve tried so far on him! It didn’t burn, like so many other creams we’ve tried, and he said it felt really nice. He also liked the fact that it absorbed into his skin quickly so he didn’t feel greasy. I think I didn’t grind the oats up fine enough (even though I used the Vitamix for it), but what I did is this – once poured into the baby food jars (and I realized the oats were settling to the bottom), I flipped the jars over so they were on their caps. Then every so often I’d go in there and shake them up a bit. Once it hardened, I took a spoon and stirred the mixture hard, whipping it up into a nice consistency. I love this recipe and plan to make it for friends! Thanks so much!! Finally some relief for my poor 7 yr old. I also used it on my 9 mo old baby girl (who also has sensitive skin) and it cleared up the dry skin on her belly almost immediately!!

109. Dorothy Clark says:

Those of you that have allergic reactions to the oats might try gluten free oats. Oats in and of themselves do not have gluten, but wheat is added to the cutting of the oats I’ve learned. Going to try mine with gluten free oats since I have some horrible itching burning painful sores on my hands and arms that look like exzema or psoriasis. I do know that starchy foods irritate the sores so I am hoping this recipe will help mine like I’ve read others have had help. Will keep you updated. Thank you for posting this recipe!

110. i tried ur homemade eczema cream its wonderful my eczema just disappeared after using it and skin tone get even better but i already i ve tanned skin and after using it my skin getting more tanner i want brighter skin tone any suggestion plz…thanx

111. Should I rinse off the excess oatmeal? I don’t thing I grinded it up enough…

112. I am going to try this just because I have heard Coconut Oil is so good for skin. I would like to say though that I developed eczema really bad on the back of my neck. It was so crusty and itched so bad I couldn’t quit scratching it. I also had it on my left elbow and while it did not itch it looked like big fish scales. I tried so many things and got so discouraged because nothing worked. While looking for a natural remedy I ran into articles that said eczema could be tied to Vitamin D-3 deficiency. I started using 10,000 units of Vitamin D-3 a day and within 4 days it was almost completely cleared up. Today is the 5th day and not hardly anything left. Worth a try as it worked for me.

113. I have enjoyed reading comments and am willing to try your cream but I didn’t see an answer to putting around eye area. my eczema is facial and eye primarily. Any one else tried it in the eye area?
    Appreciate any response.

114. I just made this for the first time and had the problem of the oatmeal sinking to the bottom. I ground it up with a food processoir and stirred it for what seemed like a long time in the saucepan…any other tips?

115. Use an electric coffee grinder to grind your oats, it works much better then any type of blender and makes a very fine consistency.

116. Hello! I’ve been reading your weblog for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the excellent job!

117. If this recipe doesn’t work (or, your skin reacts unfavorably after testing coconut/olive oil) I changed it so the recipe is Safflower Oil (by Hollywood; expeller pressed and there’s vitamin E), Pure/Raw Honey, and I blended oats to make it fine and threw this powder into a strainer into the mix. It will feel a little grainy. I mixed this concoction together well without any heating and smeared it on my trouble spots – a great part of my arm and upper leg. My wounds were beyond red…purple! This has lightened my eczema riddled skin and KILLED THE ITCH dramatically in two days. So much damage has been done since my skin was so resistant to any other form of treatment. THIS is the first thing that has worked for me. Before I would apply this, I had water with dissolved Epsom salt that I washed the area with, then applied this before going to sleep. I’d do this wash/salve at least twice a day. You could cover it with a sanitary piece of paper towel or something if you don’t want it getting onto your clothes. I made sure I was taking my regular supplements (including Omega 3′s from fish and flax) and I drink 2 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar with 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda to 1 Cup of Water 2 times a day. You WILL see a difference and will kill that maddening itch!

118. Mariah Houston says:

Does this help for psoriasis as well?

119. Sooooo scrumptious I made this as a Mother’s Day gift with a few adjustments. Instead of just oats, I blended in a few rosé petals and dried chamomile tea in with it which made this luxurious purple-pink powder that smelled sososososossooooo amazingggg!!!! I also added around 1 Tablespoon of Vitamin E oil and some vanilla extract. I let it set in the freezer for 30 mins and then whipped it until it was light and fluffy. It is the most amazing moisturizer EVER. 100000X better than ANY other lotion I have ever tried, home made or store bought. Calling aroma, luscious moisture, and it decreased the redness on my arms by a million! My skin feels soooo supple I am absolutely in amour <3 (:

120. Hey! I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this recipe!!! I made it a few weeks ago & used it on my 4yr old son’s skin. He has (had) really bad eczema on the back if his arms and legs. I must say that this has truly reduces his bumps he had. They were raised & now they are almost even with his skin. They haven’t completely disappeared but very close. I just finished making a new batch this morning. The only thing is, I have to strain the oats after it cools right before it sets up because by his skin being so sensitive, the coarser pieces of oats hurts him. Sorry this is so long but I am beyond pleased as to how well it works!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
    ~A very happy parent of a no so itchy 4 yr old!! ;^)

121. Carrie Whittier says:

Red Mill makes a gluten free oat flour…..going to try it today…..no grinding of the oats!!

122. How long does this recipe last?

123. Brittany K. says:

Just made this, it’s in my fridge hardening. I spilled while I was pouring so I used some on my arms already, lol. I hope it works out, and I’m glad I like the smell of rosemary!! My oats sank to the bottom as well, I was going to try and take it out to stir when it was partially hardened so hopefully I can get them dispersed throughout.

124. Hi
    I read your homemade cream,but didn’t prepare it.my question is that it should be applied as a night cream or can be applied before dayout.please answer my query.
    Thank you.

125. I made this and love love loved it. Worked great on my daughter, however, it molded after only one week. Anyone else with this issue and how can I prevent it from happening again. It really worked but can’t be throwing it out every week.

126. I am interested in making this for my little girl, who suffers enormously from eczema… but she’s also allergic to coconut, palm, and so many other things. I was wondering what I might substitute for the coconut oil (it seems like it would be really important for the texture of the cream). Thanks.

• I see now that this was covered pretty well previously. She’s also allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, and the like, but I will look into mango butter, shea butter, and beeswax as thickeners.

127. Just a consideration for those with little ones with eczema. I made this with the rosemary oil added, I noticed that my son had an asthma attack shortly after I applied it to my hands to test it out (eczema and asthma often go hand in hand). It made me wonder and I did some research and rosemary essential oil is contraindicated for asthma. I would suggest if asthma is a concern for you or your little ones, that you consider lavendar oil instead. I guess I will just use this batch when he’s not around and make another batch with just lavendar for him. Wonderful recipe, I can’t wait to make the next batch and start using it on my son!!

128. You’re totally right, I should mention that citrus oils do make you more sensitive to skin. But really, you should always be wearing a sunscreen – always! You can see more on

129. we have no available coconut oil here in our place.is it ok that im using virgin coconut oil as a replacement?

130. Veronica says:

Hi, I am for sure going to try this out! Was wondering how long does this keep for?

• ceara.sluis@gmail.com says:

Mine kept well for a few months and then it started to get a little “watery”. Best of luck! :-)

131. i made this exactly as it says and the coconut oil never hardened back up it stayed a liquid, what am i doing wrong

132. islandgirl says:

I made this last night and stuck it in the fridge to harden overnight. Got it out, heated it up a little (30 seconds) in the microwave and decided to use my mixer to see if it would blend up well. And it did! It came out nice and creamy :D Tried it on the patch of eczema on my eyelid and it feels sooooooooooo much better!! Thank you for sharing this! Going to share it with my daughter who has a more serious ongoing battle with eczema than I do. So excited!

133. Wondering what I did wrong? Mine never set up, was left out for almost a week & was still liquid when I threw it away. Any ideas? Thanks!

134. Nancy Eichhorn says:

I am wondering about the oil in this for infants. How young is too young for oil. I would like to add some for the healing properties. Any advice?

• ceara.sluis@gmail.com says:

I’m unsure on how young too young is to use oil on an infant. I would consult your doctors opinion.

135. RE: The separation issue: I just made a batch of this and I just put it in the fridge and let it harden, then stirred it up afterward to mix the oatmeal into the coconut oil really well. Worked like a charm!

136. HI can this work on psoriasis as well?, as i suffer really bad at least 85% of my body!!, I use coconut oil in my cooking, which i buy as organic so ill try that to do the mixture with, but can you tell me if ut will help me with my psoriasis??

137. Hiya, i made this today and im so excited till it settles… However i think i burnt it a bit because my oats werent all powdery and i read in ur coment its what happend to u the first time but im worried about the burnt bit… Like my oil went brownish :( please give advice… Shall i use it or not?

Thanks in advance… X

138. I made this cream yesterday, and applied it around my eyes, on my face and on my neck. It has been working really well so far :) On my face, its really decreased the inflammation around my eyes. Thank you so much for this recipe!!

139. when i made this it did not set up it stayed in liquid form what did i do wrong

140. Could I substitute the olive oil with grapeseed oil?

141. Hi Ceara,

I’d like to say thank you from any place in my heart and soul. I began feeling hopeless in creams and although speaking to GP’s about skin conditions and corrective behaviors, they seem to continue the programmed route of advocating relief measures which are gradually harmful and we could say more. So this really proves that there are some in this world who care for natural. I’ve been loving oats as a breakfast diet so I see no harm in taking that obsession further into healing measures. Pls continue sharing as you do…I’ll share this far and wide.

142. Hi,

Might be a dumb question but do you need to sterilise the jar you use to keep the cream in? Or the blender if used etc.

Also, can I use sweet almond oil instead of olive oil?

Thanks

143. How long will it last?

144. Amazing Product says:

Hi, can you apply the cream on the face.

145. Will this Eczema cream work on the face??? I have red cheeks and slight eczema on my face. I just made a batch but while I was reading comments, it seems most everyone is using it on their body.

146. Hi there,
    Do you have to keep this cream refrigerated? Will the cream spoil and get moldy quickly with the Oatmeal included? Thanks! I have struggled with this when making homemade recipes that called for food based products. Not sure how Oatmeal would work out!
    Jamie

147. Tammi Cruz says:

Facial eczema is the worst! Try Made from Earth’s Three Berry Face Serum. I used to have it all over my face, and its the only face serum that when i applied it would take away the eczema. . .face saver

148. hi, thanks for the great recipe.gonna try it. however got a question. im in a humid country where the oil does not harden up. so do i still need to warm up the oils or should i just whip everything together and then put it in the fridge afterwards to harden it up?
    thanks for your opinion.

149. I developed terrible eczema under my arms. So of course this is a challenge because I had to nix deodorant, even the natural ones. This receoie worked wonders. When I made this and instead of Rosemary I used Sandalwoo and Ylang Ylang. It smelled so good I wanted to take a bite out of myself. Thanks for the recepie.

150. Hello,please let me know whether i can use this for my dark spots on the face,by gods grace i dont have eczema.how long do i have to keep it on the face.please reply.thank u.

151. Living with eczema all my life I was happy to see this post. Unfortunately I am allergic to olives. So i am unable to use olive oil in this recipe. Any suggestions?

• My mother has made something similar to this but with cocoa butter instead of olive oil. It works wonders on my daughter who has eczema and is itchy all winter. She puts it in a big push up tube similar to a large chapstick container so it’s easy to rub on.

152. This recipe sounds great. My 1 year old daughter has really bad eczema, i was wondering if it would be safe to use it on her face.? As thats where she flares up…

153. Hey girl! I just made this for my mom for her birthday. I haven’t made her a present since 8th grade! Watching her scratch makes ME itch. Its in the fridge now..is that OK? For how long..

• ceara.sluis@gmail.com says:

I did let mine stay in the refrigerator. I kept mine in there for approx 2 weeks so yours should be fine! :-)

154. Hello,

My six year old has eczema and we have tried everything! After sitting and crying last night because she is so itchy and scratches until she bleeds every night I googled once again recipes for creams or lotions for eczema. I came across this one, I ran out to the store at 11:30 pm to get the ingredients, and we are giving it a go today. She is SUPER excited to try it. We are in the desert so it is hard for her to escape the dryness all year long. Thank you for posting the recipe for all to use!!!!!!!!!

155. hi i was reading all the comments everybody was telling the same thing. oat meal get coarse why don’t you make after grinding put it in sifter and get the powder of it?

156. I know this may come across as a silly question but can I use oat flour? I don’t have a food processor that can pulverize oats. Appreciate a reply soon because it’s winter and I’m itching madly. THANKS!

157. I made this and put it in the fridge to help set it up faster. I also every couple minutes would shake the jars. I took the jars out of the fridge before they were completely set up. I still shook the jars until they were completely set up. This was a little bit of a hassle but looks like the oatmeal didn’t settle to the bottom.

158. Desiree Beaman says:

My 2 year old daughter has eczema. We have tried everything. This sounds like a good recipe but my daughter is alletgix to coconut , shea butter, cooca butter and possibly mango butter (I tried mago butter in her hair and she broke out) so what can I use instead?

159. Do u think I can sieve the oats and stick to the oil once it’s settled?
    And use oats as a exfoliator?
    I don’t like the grit, even though I blended it in my magic bullet blender.
    Can i just leave it in the fridge and use it when required and put back in the fridge?

160. hi Ceara, i love this and hope it works. my daughter in last 10 years has a lot of skin issues, due to stress, diet, illness, and almost dying after my second grandchild was born, who knows. I was wondering how long this product lasts. do you let it stay out on shelf, or does it need to be refrigerated? i live in FL so between heat and humidity, concerns me. also if you put in fridge to solidify then take it out once done, does that change the time? thanks for you info and look forward to being part of this community. i’m new, if you didn’t guess, lol. thanks again.

161. Frets4life says:

Can I use grapeseed oil instead of coconut oil? I don’t have coconut oil.

162. I’ve just made this cream for my 14 month old daughter – I can’t wait to try it! She has had eczema pretty much since she was born, so I hope that this cream will help to clear it up for good! I’ll keep you posted – thank you for posting this recipe!

163. Where would u buy coconut oil? Would coconut cream or milk do instead?

164. Someone may have mentioned this already (I didn’t read through every comment), but once the moisturizer begins to solidify you can whip it with an electric mixer and it will disperse the oatmeal throughout the mixture. I made half a batch for my son and whipped it once it began to thicken. You can tell when it is whipped because the color gets much lighter and you you will see the speckles of oatmeal evenly dispersed. If it doesn’t get lighter it’s not hard enough yet, I think mine took a couple hours before I could whip it. I used some on my arms and legs and they feel so soft, hopefully this helps with my son’s eczema!

• Hello Kerri,

Did you try on your son? Did it help with his eczema? My 7 weeks old son just developed eczema on his face and i’m trying to find ways to help with his eczema.

165. Hi! I was wondering could grits be a replacement for the oats

166. I make a similar lotion for my lil guy that has eczema. I do equal parts of coconut oil and shea butter, I grind the oatmeal in a coffee grinder and instead of olive oil I use avocado oil. Thank you for your recipe. I’m going to try it without the shea butter because it can get pretty expensive. I’m pretty hopeful that it would work just as well, it just never occurred to me to omit the shea butter.

167. THANK YOU so very much for sharing this! My family and I use it for our dry skin. I saw this post several months ago (bitter cold winter). So far I have made 4 batches, and its getting better every time. I’ve given as gifts and such and those who use it really like it. I have found that personally for me, I find more benefit using in the shower, rinsing off and patting dry.

168. Christine says:

I tried it but my oats is. A bit gritty after mixing.
    what can I do ?

169. I found the diyconfessions.com website and I’m so impressed. I was looking for a way to get rid of my terrible eczema. I’ve spent so much time and money on creams and none of them worked as well as this simple, yet amazing cream. My eczema is completely cleared up and my skin feels amazing. The cream even works great as a daily moisturizer. The mixture of oils and oatmeal create a smooth shiny glow for my skin and I look years younger. The BEST part is that it’s completely safe if it accidentaly gets in my mouth. It’s so good that I can use it on my baby and it’s not harsh on her skin at all. I’m definitely going to be following this website for more wonderful ideas. Thank you for coming up with such a lovely recipe for an amazing eczema cream/moisturizing lotion. The link to the recipe is here: http://diyconfessions.com/2012/11/15/homemade-eczema-creamskin-moisturizer/

Trackbacks

1. [...] me via INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, FACEBOOK and [...]

2. [...]  Homemade Eczema Cream ~ This amazing diy cream is perfect as a daily moisturizer and from eliminating eczema flair [...]

3. [...] cream than you could find at a store. Feel free to step up the recipe and add olive oil, like this blogger [...]

4. [...] Confessions has an image rich walk through of how to create this wonderful concoction. Please click here to view their recipe complete with images. I am going to post their recipet, but I encourage you to go to their site and read through the [...]

5. [...] said I’d do an update about the homemade eczema cream from DIY Confessions (recipe here), and after several weeks of putting it off (who would I be if I wasn’t a chronic [...]

6. [...] Homemade Eczema Cream by DYI Confessions has been all over Pinterest, so I finally gave a try.  It’s a simple mixture of coconut oil, ground oats, olive oil and rosemary.  I skipped the rosemary, because I’m pretty sure it would just make me sneeze.  Much of the oatmeal does sink to the bottom, so what I did was put it into the fridge until it got good and solid, cut off the layer of oats, warmed up the remaining and then whipped it. [...]

7. best skin care products…

Homemade Eczema Cream/Skin Moisturizer -…

8. [...] How To Make A Homemade Eczema Cream [...]

9. […] 1. Homemade Eczema Cream […]

10. […] Recipe inspired by DIY Confessions. […]

11. […] Recipe inspired by DIY Confessions. […]

12. […] every time) you should try  treatments and remedies based on natural ingredients. Take for example this eczema cream presented by Ceara. Made from coconut and olive oil, oats and rosemary oil this cream is also the best moisturizer I […]

13. […] In a random google search of the benefits of the Rosemary oil I had just brought, I came across a good recipe which I adapted. ( link here: http://diyconfessions.com/2012/11/15/homemade-eczema-creamskin-moisturizer/ ) […]

14. […] Check out the recipe over at DIY Confessions. […]